Subject: Re: Win95
From: Andy Stevens <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 18:11:48 -0700

I've installed '95 a half dozen times now on different computers, in it's
own directory and over 3.11.  Neither instance has caused me any grief.  The
one thing I can gaurentee that will is not having enough space left on the
drive/partition, to do a proper install.  Pay attention to this one...

Andy Stevens

At 02:37 PM 4/20/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At 10:31 PM 4/19/96 -0700, you wrote:
>>Now that my favorite program is forcing me to give money to Bill Gates (5.0
>>won't run on Win 3.x) I need to pay attention to any problems people have
>>had upgrading to Win95.  
>>
>>I should be picking up the software in the next day or two... any
>>precautions I should be taking before hand??
>>
>>Any other helpful ideas???  I was hoping to go straight to NT, but that
>>isn't an option.  I can't afford the program cost or the additional RAM...
>>
>
>OK, I have installed Win95 dozens of time in many different ways.  This is
>the absolute BEST way to go...
>
>1. Set aside a lot of time.
>2. Back-up to floppies (or zip drive) the things that are absolutely
>essential. (don't back up programs, only files.)
>3. Format c: (double-check to make sure you have ALL your important stuff
>Before you format!!!)
>4.  Install Win95 from scratch.
>        a. install DOS on formatted HD.
>        b. Install CD-ROM drivers.
>        c. install Win95 upgrade (will ask for disk 1 of win3.11)
>4. Let Win95 check for PnP devices.
>5. Start setting up your devices that Win95 missed. (use 32-bit drivers
>whenever possible!!  Go to the manufacturers webs site if necessary to get
>them.)
>6. Check your "system" in the "control panel". Look for driver conflicts and
>resolve them.
>7. Once your OS is all set, start to install your software.  Again try to
>use 32-bit versions whenever you can.  Almost all programs today are 32-bit
>or have 32-bit versions.  go to http://www.tucows.com/ or
>http://www.windows95.com/ for tons of 32-bit shareware/freeware apps.  You
>want to avoid 16-bit apps in Win95 at all costs.
>
>It's kinda scary to wipe your system clean and start over, but I have done
>this many times and it the best way to do it.  All my drivers are 32-bit,
>all my software is 32-bit and my problems are minimal because of it.  You do
>NOT want to try to mesh Win95 w/ Win3.11
>
>
>Bryant Reif
>mailto:[email-masked]
>http://www.aiesec.org/~bryant
>
>
>
Ulti-Media Productions       http:/www.skagit.com/um
P.O. Box 444                         [email-masked] 
Anacortes, WA 98221
1-360-293-7044  1-360-299-2524 or Fax 1-360-299-2525